• We will be merging Anime.sh with another Forum in the near future, forming the largest anime network online! Stay tuned!

Koe No Katachi vs Kimi No Na WA

Fang

Fang

Elle's Pet
Discord Mod
Master
Thread starter #1
We hear the debate all the time
"Your Name is the best movie!"
"Koe No Katachi is way better than Kimi No Wa Wa!"

Well, thoughts?

*spoilers below*

Koe No Katachi (for me) is a better movie at bringing out an emotional reaction.
A movie built upon real issues that people go through: Bullying, Social Anxiety, Standing Out, Becoming an Outcast, Betrayal, Regret, Personal Growth/Learning from Mistakes, Forgiveness.

Your Name draws on the common theme of love and explores it from a unique perspective involving time-lapse and adapting to an entirely different life-style.

I was able to better relate to the themes in Koe No Katachi. I felt more connected with Ishida's struggles, being a schoolkid you do stupid things to try and be cool. You will hurt people because you can't comprehend how much hurt you are actually causing them and in the movie we see Nishimiya reach a breaking point going so far as to fight back against Ishida and end up switching schools. What follows suit is a spiral downwards for Ishida as his friends all reject him, refusing to own up to bullying Nishimiya as well. He becomes an outcast and spends the rest of his early childhood alone. The movie progresses and with it we see Ishida's transformation as a person, we grow to feel sorrow for how harsh this action done at such a young age has affected his life in the long-term. It's no surprise he contemplates suicide and that is something extreme that Kimi No Wa Wa doesn't even hint at. This movie gave us a character, once popular, turned social outcast with no hope left fighting the desire to just give up. He transforms, matures, regrets... even going so far as to seek out Nishimiya after a chance passing and attempt to apologize , form a friendship, anything. Ishimiya changes, the tone of the movie changes, hope is felt and I really felt that with this movie.

Kimi No Wa Wa is a film that i watched from a viewer perspective. Yes, the love story was there, the unique perspective of switching bodies, exploring another's life and falling in love with that person is all very romantic. With Kimi No Wa Wa, however, the movie didn't bring the same level of connection i had with Koe No Katachi, hence why i rate it below. Yes the overall film is sad, you can sense of what is to come and the soundtrack does a great job with that, however, all in all it fell short in comparison. I was more drawn to a person life struggle than a random chance of love with someone who isn't even alive. The ending had a happy twist at least.

Chris Sama

Chris Sama

Apprentice
Awards
Both movies I rated "Masterpiece".

But for me I love Kimi No Na Wa more then Koe No Katachi.
But that's becuz I hate both MC's in Koe No Katachi.

Spoilers alert!
I love how Taki Tachibana switched body with Mitsuha Miyamizu.
And how Taki loves Miki Okudera and asked Mitsuha for help.

But later in the story. He found out that his heart changed and started loving Mitsuha.
And when he wants to search for Mitsuha he found out about that village and it's problem.

To prefent it from happening he changed history. But becuz of that all the 'body swap' neva happened.
They never met too.
And after XX years. They finally meet each other and both was like. I think I met this person before? "Deja Vu".
Story is simple but I love the story in it.
Koe No Katachi is different.
We are watching Shouko Nishimiya who get's bullied cuz she can't hear people talking. (deaf person.)
I hated Shouya Ishida at the early of the movie. And it never changed.
But later in the story I kinda getting annoyed of Shouko too.

I dislike people who blames everything on them selves even if it's not there problem. (I know those kind of people excist.)
But my personality is totally different from her. So I can't put myself in her shoes and think how she thinks.

And at the end of the story how she tried too....
I just hate it...

Story wise it's epic. It's serious a worth watching Anime.

But I can rewatch Kimi No Na Wa yet I can't rewatch Koe No Katachi.

That's y if we gonna compare them both I will put Kimi No Na Wa above Koe No Katachi.
But once again. I did rated both movies Masterpieces.

trace

trace

Otaku
vastly prefer Koe no Katachi over Kimi no Nawa solely because i can relate to the former more

H

highground

Otaku
Koe No Katachi is on another level, just in the real emotion and representation of what its like to live with these problems is great.

HumbleFool

HumbleFool

Otaku
I was already a fan of the manga therefore the feelings that were portrayed were even more powerful in A silent voice. Plus it's a relatable setting which I found more important on an emotionallevel than the premise of Your Name.

Hellwing

Hellwing

Discord Mod
Advanced
I prefer Kimi No Na Wa as i love the story and meaning behind the movie.

Klaus

Klaus

Staff Member
Admin
Professional
Awards
Wos this one is hard I really liked them both. But I guess I'll go with a silent voice cause it voiced a more real life conflict that people may relate too. However your name was also awesome. Such good movies :(

Amo

Amo

Regular
I think koe no katachi was better, it is more realistic in the sense that it could happen in real life. I loved the start of the movie because it displays how people will turn on you as soon as you start to fall into social standards. I also loved the story and the progression of the characters over time. Don't get me wrong I liked both movies, but undoubtedly Koe No Katachi stands above.

Verta

Verta

Discord Mod
Regular
Awards
Kimi No Na Wa was a huge reason for me getting into anime in the first place so I have an absolute love for it

Top Bottom