• I've made it a bit easier to unlock Discord Ranks, when users unlock their Forum Ranks! You can check the required post counts here: Forum Ranks

GoTG Director Fired by Disney

Redhead™

Professional
Thread starter #1
James Gunn is exiting Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
This week, the news spread about Disney staking their decision to let go of James Gunn due to the tweets made by the director some 8 to 10 years ago that the company and public found rash and tasteless. Again, these tweet were made several years ago and the general public are torn between two-sides debating whether the decision to fire Gunn was a sound one, especially since these were made nearly a decade ago.

For me, it felt somewhat uncalled for. The content were offensive, yes, but these were shared so long ago; no one would split hairs over it if it wasn't shed to light. On the other hand, this is Disney's way of saying that they do not condone such behaviour recent or otherwise. Most especially because the competing comic book magnate has one of their actors involved in a sexual assault scandal not too long ago.

Read the article here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

Klaus

Bazinga
Staff Member
Admin
Advanced
Awards
I actually saw this. It kinda sucks that this happened, but every action has a consequence. Even though this was made years ago and it doesn't make sense to fire him now.

Redhead™

Professional
Thread starter #3
I actually saw this. It kinda sucks that this happened, but every action has a consequence. Even though this was made years ago and it doesn't make sense to fire him now.
If I'm a conspiracy theorist, I'd say Gunn was going for a bigger paycheck and Disney decided to nerf him instead. But I'm not, so I'm taking it at face value. But it still sucks. I like the way he handled the GoTG films. Comparing his take on a space comic book film to that of the Thor ones pre-Ragnarok, he did pretty well. A lot of things could've gone absolutely wrong with Guardians, mostly because the comics as well as the characters are not a household name.

I'm really sad 'coz he's one of my fave Marvel directors. PC naysayers, 1. Nerds, 0. Huhuhuh.

Karasu

Hentaimin XXL
Professional
Awards
Most-all the actors voiced their disagreement with the firing so it's inevitable that Disney will buckle down and re-hire him for the 3rd installment at least (hopefully final after the addition of 'bad blood'), doubtful they'll extend him for a 4th or higher run though, so R.I.P. GoTG, over SJW propaganda and thin skinned PC culture.

Redhead™

Professional
Thread starter #5
Definitely RIP GoTG. The next Guardians would definitely have a different tone, or maybe try and fail to emulate what was already established.

Karasu

Hentaimin XXL
Professional
Awards
Time for a F4stic reboot. :DekuBang:
Meh though I guess it works out in some ways, they can just kill off the Guardians in the next Avengers movie and do a soft-reset on the franchise and hope that it works out... (it won't)

Or they can butter him up with money and an apology.

Redhead™

Professional
Thread starter #7
Time for a F4stic reboot. :DekuBang:
Meh though I guess it works out in some ways, they can just kill off the Guardians in the next Avengers movie and do a soft-reset on the franchise and hope that it works out... (it won't)

Or they can butter him up with money and an apology.
I doubt Disney would double-back on their decision. They should've just swept it under the rug and keep mum about it. Have Gunn make a public apology and delete his old posts. This debacle only made things worse and those SJW's would keep feeding on his fiasco until the next scandal pops up. But what do I know? Everyone is expendable to multi-billion companies like Disney.

Redhead™

Professional
Thread starter #9
Someone competent, I hope. It only took 3 directors to get Thor right. And let's not forget Iron Man and its reverse Thor syndrome.

Karasu

Hentaimin XXL
Professional
Awards
"Alright gang, you see this giant ugly mother fucker? Let's blow him to pieces!"

*Cue 30 minutes of cinematic explosions*

10/10

100% RottenTomatoes

Masterpiece - IGN

Redhead™

Professional
Thread starter #14
I haven't watched Transformers since the first one. And please. No Bryan Singer either. That would be another scandal (although warranted) waiting to happen.

Top Bottom